The Kearny Office of Emergency Management, in coordination with the Kearny Police and Fire Departments, Kearny Emergency Rescue Squad, Mayor Alberto G. Santos & Town Council, Kearny Health and Public Works Departments and the Kearny Municipal Utilities Authority are preparing for the major winter storm expected to impact the region tonight and tomorrow. Residents are advised of the following:
1. Principal roadways will take priority in snow plowing operations. Do not leave parked vehicles on the following streets during the storm or they will be towed:
entire length of Kearny Ave;
entire length of Belgrove Drive;
Midland Ave from Belgrove Drive to Schuyler Ave;
south side of Afton St from Belgrove Drive to Passaic Ave;
Davis Ave from Midland to Dukes;
Elm St from Midland Ave to the Belleville Pike; and
Bergen Ave from Passaic Ave to the DPW garage.
2. The Mayor and Council meeting scheduled for Tuesday, March 14, 2017 is cancelled. A re-scheduled date will be posted.
3. Kearny Senior Bus Transportation and Dial-A-Ride service is suspended until further notice.
4. Updates on Kearny schools will be posted on www.kearnyschools.com.
5. Garbage and recycling collection is cancelled for Tuesday March 14, 2017. Tuesday’s garbage and recycling collection will be picked up Wednesday, March 15, 2017. Wednesday’s garbage and recycling collection will be picked up as scheduled.
6. Collection of electronics scheduled for Wednesday March 15, 2017 is cancelled and re-scheduled for Wednesday March 29, 2017.
7. Street sweeping is suspended from Tuesday March 14, 2017 through Friday March 17, 2017.
8. To report downed wires, call Kearny Police Department at (201) 998-1313 or Fire Department at (201) 991-1402. To report power outages, call PSE&G’s Customer Service line at 1-800-436-PSEG. Customers can also report outages at www.pseg.com or by texting “OUT” to 4PSEG (47734). The utility’s mobile-friendly website includes an “Outage Map” that is updated every 15 minutes and displays the location and status of power outages in PSE&G’s service area.
9. Do not shovel snow onto the street from your sidewalk or driveway. Do not shovel snow onto a fire hydrant. Instead, remove snow from hydrants.
10. Do not place any item on the street to save a parking space. Those items will be removed.